This is a constant work in progress with newer articles and finds posted to the top of the page.
One PWOD activist chastised me for using the term “inspiration porn” because it detracted from and minimized the damage and injury of “real porn” , but inspiration porn IS real porn. It is the depiction of a dehumanized and objectified person as other, for the gratification of the gaze of the viewer. It is everything porn is– exploitation, dehumanization, objectification, commercialization, abuse. We deserve to use that term an name our experience without the additional gaze of those who think liberation, revolution and justice doesn’t include us or can be carried out without us.
- The Inspiration Porn Resolution
- Commentary on “my sister came home from school wanting books on sign language” https://inbedwithfridakahlo.wordpress.com/2010/05/21/commentary-on-my-sister-came-home-from-school-wanting-books-on-sign-language/
- Stella Young: I’m Not Your Inspiration. Thank You Very Much http://www.ted.com/talks/stella_young_i_m_not_your_inspiration_thank_you_very_much
- We’re not here for your inspiration http://www.abc.net.au/rampup/articles/2012/07/02/3537035.htm
- I Don’t Want to Be ‘Inspiring’ http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/20/opinion/i-dont-want-to-be-inspiring.html
- 4 Things You Should Ask Yourself Before Sharing Inspiration Porn On Social Media
- Son of Baldwin discussion on Inspiration Porn https://www.facebook.com/sonofbaldwinfb/posts/10153654786352862
- 7 Reasons to Stop Calling Disabled People Inspirational http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/04/stop-calling-disabled-people-inspirational/
- How “Inspiration Porn” Reporting Objectifies People With Disabilities http://www.theestablishment.co/2016/02/25/how-inspiration-porn-reporting-objectifies-people-with-disabilities/
- Inspiration porn further disables the disabled http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2015/6/inspiration-porn-further-disables-the-disabled.html
- Why You Shouldn’t Share Those Emotional ‘Deaf Person Hears for the First Time’ Videos